So this week is the biggest gaming convention of the year. This year I’m going to offer up a dark horse prediction which I have not seen anyone else mention – Sony and Blizzard will announce that Diablo III is a Playstation 3 exclusive. There are a few things which suggest this to me –
- Blizzard is hiring console networking programmers
- Blizzard is known to be working on Diablo III
- Rumors and other hints (tradeshow promotional materials and the like) that Diablo III would be featured at the show appeared then were quickly quashed
- It makes more sense that it would be Diablo III that is announced, than Worlds of Warcraft, since WoW is not well suited to console play and since it’s a pre-existing title that doesn’t show a lot of promise for selling PS3 consoles (ie, folks are not going to buy a ps3 to play it – with 5 million customers, they’re already playing, and may even be bored of it by the time the PS3 ships) and
- Sony needs something huge at E3 to make a splash with. Few things would make bigger splashes.
We’ll see if I’m good at reading the tea leaves in a couple days. I’ll post afterwords about it.
0 thoughts on “My prediction for E3”
For posterity’s sake, I will note: I was wrong. There was no word on Diablo III, it wasn’t announced as a PS3 exclusive, and Sony seems to be intent on completely running their PS2/dominance of the console scene train right off the rails based on their performance at E3.