So we had a minor natural disaster – 70+mph winds came blowing through and knocked out power in the region. Figures Saratoga Springs and Greenfield Center suffered the worst damage in the entire region. Parts of Saratoga had no power for three days and I lost it from Friday morning through late Saturday night. So what’s an internet geek to do in such a case? Well…
- Read a novel. Actually, 1.5 novels. I started Kim Robinson’s ‘Red Mars,’ then decided it was not to my taste 1/3 of the way through, and switched to Octavia Butler’s The Fledgling. Given that the only candles I had in the house were tea lights, and they were scattered everywhere around my living room, I figured a vampire story was appropriate. It was a decent book too.
- Lacking any news at all for more than 24 hours, start to imagine that you’re having a repeat of the widespread power outage from several years ago.
- Curse the lack of gasoline in your car and your inability to acquire more.
- Realize you should have withdrawn some cash from the bank since you have no way of getting any more. Vow to always keep $200 in cash hidden in the house from now on.
- Curse well water, pumps, and the lack of flushing toilets or water of any kind. But especially the toilets.
- Daydream about the hot shower you so badly want.
- Muse in wonder at just how quickly the fabric of modern society crumbles with the lack of power.
- Lay around on your couch thankful that you have a gas heater that’s still working.